This is the fourth juice of the day, after two Glow Getter Green Juices and a Pineapple Detox Juice.
Here’s what’s in it and why it’s good for you:
- Beetroot/Beet gets its purple pigment from a powerful antioxidant compound called betacyanin, which is a serious detox booster. Betacyanin increases the activity of certain detoxification processes, helping the liver to break down and eliminate waste. This is great for the skin because when the liver isn’t functioning optimally, or is overloaded (like after a night of heavy drinking), the skin is often used as a rapid route of elimination, which causes breakouts. Beetroot also contains high levels of fat-soluble antioxidants, zeaxanthin and Vitamin E, which protect the fatty subcutaneous tissue from free radical damage. AND it’s a rich in Vitamin A (another antioxidant!), potassium, sodium, calcium and magnesium.
- Carrots are one of the best sources of beta-carotene (the plant form of vitamin A). Beta-carotene is a powerful fat-soluble antioxidant, which protects your skin from free radicals and bacteria, as well as helping it to repair and protect itself from damage.
- Celery contains high levels of potassium, sodium and magnesium. These minerals help to replace lost electrolytes and keep your body hydrated – essential for a glowing complexion. Celery is also a source of Vitamin B6, which is involved in regulating the balance of sodium and potassium, and lowering fluid accumulation in tissues, which can cause puffiness around the eyes and face. It is also a mild diuretic and aids in the efficient elimination of waste via the kidneys. Great when you’re detoxing!
- Apples contain Vitamin C, giving them antioxidant properties, which help protect against free radical damage. They also deliver a small amount of potassium, phosphorus, and calcium. Apples contain ellagic acid, which is thought to aid the detox process by stimulating the liver.
- Lemons have loads of great health benefits – they stimulates digestion, increases circulation and promotes alkalinity. They are full of Vitamin C, as well as bioflavonoids, pectin and calcium, so they boosts your immune system and fight infection.
- 1 large raw beetroot/beet (about 150g)
- 3 carrots (about 350g)
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 apples
- 1 orange (peeled)
- Half a lemon
- Rinse the fruit and veg
- Halve the apples and remove the stalks
- Remove the tops of carrots
- Remove the skin of the lemon if it’s waxed, but leave the pith. If unwaxed, you can leave the skin on, but it’s up to you!
- You don’t have to, but I like to remove the random stringy bits you get on raw beetroot, along with all the leaves and stalks. Chop it up enough to fit in the feeder of your juicer
- Juice everything!!
This makes approximately 500ml of juice, depending on your juicer and the size/juiciness of the fruit and veg you use.
On the juice cleanse, you would follow this with your final Glow Getter Green Juice, and then soothing Cashew and Brazil Nut Milk before bed – recipe coming up!
Up next: Juice Cleanse Recipe #4: Cashew and Brazil Nut Milk